I know, fried cabbage. Not too exciting, right?? ;)
But I’m telling you, this is good stuff.
I had it at Whole Foods and had to come home and recreate it.
The girl who made it was actually kind enough to tell me how. (it’s super simple!)
Best fried cabbage and ham ever.
And simple! Like I mentioned. (which are my favorite kinds of recipes ;) )
You can use bacon or sliced ham. I like using a small ham steak, diced.
Fry the diced ham up first. (with olive oil and butter)
Once it’s browned, add the chopped cabbage and onion.
I was in a hurry and threw it all in together.
You can do it that way too but I really like it a bit better if I brown the ham a little first.
Continue cooking until it’s cooked down and a bit browned.
You can see it’s cooked down quite a bit here but it’s still not done.
This dish needs to cook and cook. The more it cooks, the more those flavors soften and combine.
It should end up looking like below…
Once done, serve warm and enjoy!
This truly is so delicious. I can eat it all by itself!
I hope you like the Fried Cabbage and Ham as much as we do!
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small ham steak, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- salt and pepper, to taste (I like a good bit of pepper in mine)
- Chop the cabbage and onion, set aside.
- Dice the ham steak and brown in the pan with the olive oil and butter for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cabbage and onion to the pan and cook on medium, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the cabbage is very soft and very wilted.
- Serve warm.